Cream? Sugar? Pumpkin Spice? How about a shot of CBD in your morning coffee?
Java drinkers around the world are adding CBD to their mugs to take the edge off the caffeine jitters, boost focus at work, and improve their wellbeing.
But coffee and CBD may not be a match made in heaven. Some claim that caffeine might cancel out some of the effects of CBD. There’s also the question of whether it’s possible to accurately dose CBD in coffee.
So, does CBD coffee really work, or is it just another easy upsell at hipster coffee shops?
We looked at the science behind coffee brewing and CBD to find the answers. We’ll let you know what CBD coffee can and can’t do, and we’ll tell you how to make your own CBD coffee at home.
Table of Contents
What is CBD Coffee?
CBD coffee is coffee that contains cannabidiol (CBD). It can be made in a number of ways.
The CBD coffee you get at a coffee shop is usually normal coffee with CBD oil added.
You can also buy CBD-infused coffee to make at home. CBD coffee beans are infused with hemp extract (CBD oil). Ground CBD coffee is mixed with a powdered CBD isolate or ground hemp flowers.
CBD coffee can be made into all your favorite coffee drinks, including espresso, latte, cold brew, french press, and classic filter coffee.
Does CBD Coffee Really Work?
It depends. We can’t give a definitive answer on whether CBD coffee works because it seems to impact people in different ways. Both caffeine and CBD have varying effects on people, and they affect one another.
There are thousands of CBD coffee reviews claiming that it helps to relax nerves, improve mood, and boost focus.
Others claim that the CBD leaves them craving more of an energy boost or that the caffeine cancels CBD’s relaxing effects.
Scientific research on CBD and caffeine suggests the latter. CBD has been shown to boost levels of adenosine in the brain, leading to feelings of relaxation. Caffeine has the opposite effect on adenosine. One study noted that mixing caffeine with CBD held little risk but also that the advantages were “unclear.”
What CBD Coffee Can Do
- It may reduce the coffee jitters: The relaxing effect of CBD may help counter coffee jitters, helping you feel more balanced.
- It may boost focus and alertness: CBD coffee contains a low dose of CBD, which may increase focus and alertness. This is further enhanced by caffeine.
- It may improve short-term memory: Cannabinoids like CBD promote brain plasticity, which may improve short-term memory for better focus and performance at work.
- It may help you relax: For some, CBD coffee may have a relaxing effect due to CBD’s effects on GABA and adenosine receptors.
What CBD Coffee Can’t Do
- It can’t get you high: CBD coffee made with hemp flowers, hemp extract, or CBD isolate does not contain enough THC to get you high.
- It can’t relieve discomfort: Caffeine may cancel the anti-inflammatory and discomfort-reducing effects of the low amount of CBD in CBD coffee.
- It can’t quell panic: You need to digest the CBD in coffee before feeling any relaxing effects, which can take 30 minutes or more. Caffeine can also make panic worse.
- It can’t ease gastrointestinal issues: CBD has been shown to ease stomach and gastrointestinal issues, but coffee’s acidity will likely cancel these effects.
- It can’t give you an accurate CBD dose: It’s not possible to determine a dosage of CBD in a single serving of CBD-infused coffee (unless CBD oil or powder has been added before serving).
The Best CBD Coffee
When we look for a cup of CBD coffee, our top priorities are the taste and the right balance of CBD and caffeine. After testing dozens of brews, Green Roads’ coffee stood out above the rest.
Green Roads Hemp Flower Coffee
Green Roads CBD Coffee
To check prices, click “Learn More.”
Coffee, Hemp grown in the US
Green Roads is one of the most trusted CBD brands in the US. It’s been around since 2013 (long before the CBD boom), so it’s had time to perfect a range of CBD edibles and garner quite a few awards along the way, including the Cannabis Business Award for Best CBD Products in 2019.
Green Roads CBD coffee is an example of a CBD-infused product done right. Unlike most brands that toss some CBD into average coffee grounds, Green Roads sourced their coffee from protected Columbian coffee farms and blended it with premium US-grown hemp flowers.
From the first sip, you can taste the difference. Green Roads’ coffee is delicious. It’s not just a good cup of CBD coffee, it’s a great cup of coffee by any standards. The cocoa, nutty flavors of the Columbian roast combine perfectly with the herbal hemp notes.
At around 10 mg of CBD per cup, you can get a decent dose after 2-3 cups. Or, you can blend with normal coffee to lower the dosage.
Green Roads Hemp Flower Coffee comes in three flavors and two package sizes. If you’re a coffee-lover, we recommend getting a bag of Green Roads CBD coffee now.
How to Make CBD Coffee
You can make CBD coffee at home using your favorite coffee grounds, beans, or instant coffee. There are three easy ways to do it:
- Add CBD oil to your coffee: If you already have CBD oil on hand, this is the easiest way to add CBD to your coffee. Simply add the desired dose to your cup and enjoy. The downside of this method is that the CBD oil will float to the top of your cup. You shouldn’t add CBD oil to a thermos or you’ll get all the CBD in the first sip.
- Add CBD isolate powder to your coffee: CBD isolate is flavorless, and it will dissolve in your brew. However, you won’t get the additional cannabinoids that you would from a full-spectrum hemp extract.
- Add CBD honey sticks to your coffee: CBD-infused honey is a great way to sweeten your coffee and add a dispersed dose of CBD to your mug. You’ll need to use a full honey stick to get 10 mg of CBD, which may be too sweet for some.
Until we have more research on CBD and caffeine, we can’t say for sure if CBD coffee really works. If you’re looking for a way to get your daily dose of CBD, we’d recommend trying a more direct form, such as CBD oil. If you’d like to get your CBD from a beverage, you might want to try CBD tea. Our research found that CBD tea really works.
If you’re a coffee-lover and want to feel the effects of CBD coffee for yourself, you won’t find a better brew than Green Roads CBD coffee.